Friday, June 6, 2008

On Vacation

It is currently 7:52am as I begin to type this. I am sitting in front of my computer wearing my pjs, drinking coffee with a biscotti. Obviously, I am not going to work today. I'm taking some vacation time.

I have vacation issues. I accrue it, but I don't use it. I took a week off 3 years ago to go to Michigan for my cousin's wedding. Then nothing. Then last year I took off a week for another cousin's wedding- you may remember because I blogged about it on my Blossoms blog. Since then, nada, rien, niente, nothing.

At my work, there is a limit on how many vacation hours you can have. Maximum of 200 hours (5 weeks). When I hit 195 hours, I take a day off, and then reaccrue. I literally have to take a vacation day every pay period so I don't stop accruing. So on those days, what do I do? Usually I have to work that evening at REI, so I can't go anywhere. So I do laundry, do some cleaning, go for a short bike ride (5-10mi), catch up on my Netflix (I really don't know why I bother anymore). Once I did manage to make it to Monterey for the day- right after a storm, the waves were beautiful. I've been doing this for about 3 months now.

But this time is different. My Friday-Saturday schedule is open at REI, and I was invited on a volunteer project with the co-op. So I'm going camping with some co-workers. In Yosemite!!! Woo-Hoo!

I don't know if I'll be able to take pictures, since labor is involved, but we get to get in free and camp for free! Woo-Hoo! I'm excited. So today is packing and getting my gear ready. We leave tonight. I'm excited.

Wish me luck :)

Love, Yvette

No comments: